The Knowledge Assessment of Pharmaceutical Sciences, commonly known as the KAPS exam, is an integral part of seeking registration to practise pharmacy in Australia. This assessment determines the skills and knowledge of the overseas-trained pharmacists aiming to practise in Australia.
Clearing this exam is a significant professional milestone and opens doors to endless career opportunities in Australia. Successful completion of this assessment also paves the way for career advancement, international recognition, competency in practice, and credibility in the eyes of the public.
In this blog, we will delve into the complete syllabus and the key topics aspiring candidates need to master to excel in the KAPS exam.
As a result of the rising demand for pharmacists in Australia, the healthcare industry is inviting international pharmacists to practise in Australia. The candidates should clear the KAPS exam to be eligible for registration and practice.
The KAPS exam, administered by the Pharmacy Board of Australia, consists of two parts: Part I and Part II. Each paper consists of 100 questions and should be completed on the same day.
Part I focuses on foundational knowledge and principles, while Part II assesses the application of this knowledge in a clinical context.
A thorough understanding of the complete syllabus and all the essential topics of the KAPS exam is extremely crucial when you are planning to write the KAPS exam. Familiarising yourself with the different concepts included in the syllabus will help you prepare well and become more confident in your performance.
When you understand the syllabus properly and prepare well, it will lead the way to guaranteed success.
The KAPS exam is quite simple when the right preparation strategies are adopted. Since this exam thoroughly assesses your knowledge and skills to practise in the Australian context, you must be well-equipped to meet the standards set by the Australian healthcare system.
Here is a detailed list of the topics included in the KAPS exam syllabus.
Dose Forms, Including Extemporaneous Preparation
While preparing for the KAPS exam, it is essential to know that in Paper I, a significant portion of questions, approximately 30%, revolves around pharmaceutical chemistry. The rest of the questions, around 70%, are from physiology and pharmacology. In Paper II, a similar pattern is observed as almost 30% of the questions are based on pharmaceutics, while the remaining 70% are related to therapeutics.
The KAPS exam is a challenging yet rewarding step for pharmacists seeking to advance their careers. By mastering the diverse topics covered in Part I and Part II, candidates can confidently demonstrate their expertise in pharmaceutical sciences and clinical pharmacy. Diligent preparation and a strategic study plan will empower aspiring pharmacists to navigate the depths of knowledge and emerge victorious in the KAPS examination.
The KAPS exam is a part of the ongoing professional development of pharmacists. Successfully navigating this challenging assessment demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning, enhancing the credibility of pharmacists as healthcare professionals dedicated to maintaining and advancing their knowledge.
Successful completion of the KAPS exam is a prerequisite for obtaining professional accreditation as a pharmacist in Australia. It is a mandatory requirement set by the Pharmacy Board of Australia, emphasising the importance of a standardised assessment to ensure a high level of competence among practising pharmacists.
The KAPS exam, administered in Australia, holds global recognition as a standardised assessment for pharmacists. This recognition is valuable for pharmacists who may consider practising internationally or collaborating on a global scale, contributing to the standardisation of pharmaceutical practice worldwide.
To start your KAPS preparation journey, get in touch with our experts today!
For queries, drop a mail at email@example.com
Q. How long is the KAPS exam?
Ans. Each paper of the KAPS exam is an assessment of 2 hours, which totals a 4-hour assessment.
Q. How many questions are there in the KAPS exam?
Ans. The KAPS has 200 MCQs, with each paper containing 100 MCQs each.
Q. Can the KAPS exam be written from India?
Ans. Yes. Fortunately, the KAPS exam aspirants need not travel to Australia to take the exam and can attend them from their home countries.
Q. What is the passing score for the KAPS exam?
Ans. The candidate should attain an overall score of at least 50% with a minimum of 50% score in each subsection.
Dr. Akram Ahmad is a clinical pharmacist and lecturer with over 10 years of teaching and research experience across various subjects of medicine in India, Malaysia and Australia. He is an educationist and a medpreneur with extensive knowledge of the global healthcare diaspora. Through his articles, videos and engaging sessions, he always aims to impart unexplored knowledge about the healthcare world to interested students and professionals.